Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grub Review: Pepper Lunch

The first thing I ever cooked was spaghetti noodles. I'm not really sure if you consider stirring strings of pasta in boiling water cooking but that's exactly what I did. I even stood on a chair because I was too short to reach the pot. When it still existed, I loved eating at La Tasca (where Greenbelt 5 is now) because that gave me the chance to bring out my inner Wok with Yan minus the turning a tomato into a rosebud. My lean frame doesn't show it, but I love cooking. It's a shame the feeling isn't mutual. I can't whip up main course dishes unlike my sister who has the makings of Martha Stewart. The last time I attempted to, the chicken adobo turned out to be half cooked. I couldn't tell if it was cooked or not since the meat sucked in all the soy sauce and vinegar marinade. Everything was brown! But I ate it anyway. So when I discovered that you get to cook your own food in Pepper Lunch, I was raring to go after I heard that it opened last Friday. I first read about Pepper Lunch in Chuvaness' blog. When I told Speedy G about them opening in Manila a couple of weeks back, he said he wanted to eat there. I assumed he already had so I was getting visions of complicated food because he enjoys that sort of thing. Turns out, it wasn't complicated at all. It was actually very simple.
You choose, order, and pay. Wait for your food to be brought to your table.
Follow the simple cooking instructions.
Depending on your taste buds, season with salt, more pepper, or with the brown sauces (I LOVED the honey sauce) Enjoy.
All in all, I enjoyed eating at Pepper Lunch. I liked the interiors, the lighting was really nice, the place was spotless, and the staff were Pleasantville-friendly.
Pepper Lunch Power Plant Mall (between KFC and Jollibee) Concourse Level, Power Plant Mall, Rockwell Drive cor. Estrella St. Makati City, Metro Manila

5 got buggered:

Phoebe said...

I love people watching at Pepper Lunch! Their bags are soooo *WOW* ;)

Alexei said...

I know! i got dizzy from looking down at my food, then looking up to see who entered, and looking around to who's already there or outside!

Anonymous said...

Never been to Pepper Pot, but another restaurant that offers a somewhat similar experience is PURPLE FEET in Wine Depot along Reposo, Makati. You don't get to "cook" but you pick out the key ingredients and you can discuss your prefered cooking method with the chef (Indian, Chinese, French, Continental, Fusion, etc.) or just have him do his job.

Alexei said...

oh yeah i read about that somewhere. I must find time to check it out. thanks!

MC said...

ay make me sama i wanna purple feet tooooooo