Saturday, May 31, 2008

Skin savers

Everyone wants to have clear, glowing, and healthy looking skin. Well, at least I do. Unfortunately, I wasn't bestowed with that gene so I have to revert to other ways to achieving a supermodel-like fez. When I was in college, my best friend Liana took me to this skin care clinic in BF. I was so addicted to having my face cleaned that I'd visit them every other day for the treatment until I realized it was such an impractical practice. Now, I make it a point to either visit my derma once a month or every other month. Or depending on my facial situation. While I was having a facial this morning at Belo Alabang, I asked the skin specialist how long the pores stay open once it is exposed to the steamer. "Pores open when it's hot," she said. "That's why when you're at the beach..." Then she stopped and continued poking and pricking me as if there's no tomorrow. No pain, no gain. I guess she must have sensed that my tan of the tropics wasn't achieved by going to them or to Basement in Rockwell for those fake tanning treatments. "I just got back from the beach actually," I said. I didn't bother sharing with her that I happen to like being under the sun and tan because it evens out my skin tone, hiding its gruesome imperfections. When the treatment was over, my face felt numb from all the wincing action I did when she exerted all her energy on my t-zone. When I stood and looked myself at the mirror, my right cheek looked as if it was stung by a million hornets. Sure I may have looked bad but it felt great knowing I was on the path to perfect skin-dom. For those who have a (very) low threshold for pain, here are several facial wash products that I've tried that so far do the trick: Eskinol Naturals Orange Fresh Facial Wash - nevermind if it smells like My Shaldan, it has tiny Vitamin C beads that help scrub away dead skin and excess oil leaving you with glowing skin. The Face Shop also has a rather refreshing version without the beads. They also have it in Aloe Vera. Cetaphil - doesn't wash away the skin's moisture unlike other facial cleansers. When I first used it, I put globs on my palm and slathered it on my wet face because I thought it took a lot for it to sud. It was only later that I realized (and read the instructions) that I had to apply it on a dry face. Hmph. With Cetaphil's suggested retail price, it BETTER work. Garnier Anti-imperfection wash - now, how good of a product name is that? It says it all. It also comes in another variant, Pure. I don't remember what the difference but I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and so far, so good.

0 got buggered: