Saturday, April 26, 2008

Book sale

Books for me are like Café Bola’s Caramelized Spam, Pepsi, Holy Kettle Corn popcorn, Milo, and Chowking’s Chicharap – I can’t have enough of them. Whenever I chance upon a bookstore, I tend to get sucked into it and emerge carrying a bag full of new books I know I wont have enough time to read. In the last five months, I’ve bought fifteen books that span different genres. Travel, non fiction, fiction, biography, children’s, and business. Given my lust for books, I have and will read just about anything - from the classics, literary referrals, Oprah’s Book Club selections, to award winning novels. This morning after feeling bad that the Bench in Town Center didn't have the long sleeved paisley shirt I had hoped to buy, I walked in front of Powerbooks and suddenly stopped. Outside the store were tables of books in all sorts of shapes and sizes, paperback and hardbound at 30-80% off to Powercard holders. Lucky for me, I have long claimed my sister's card for myself. On sale were dozens of books about religion, art & architecture, self help, management, children's, cooking, and general interest. Most of the titles weren't really my thing except for two that caught my eye and at about less than P700 each, it was a real bargain. Five Empresses is about the drama of Russian court life, unrivaled by any contemporary soap opera. I've always been fascinated with Russian Imperial History. For Christmas, Kesler gave me a book about the Imperial life in the time of Tsar Nicholas II. It was such a good read that I'd get excited to go home to read it but would not read a lot of pages in one go to extend my literary enjoyment. Anyway, the book is about five powerful czarinas who ruled in the 18th century - Catherine I, Anna Ioannovna, Anna Leopoldovna, Elizabeth, and Catherine the Great,. In addition to advancing their own agendas and protecting their own interests and power bases, these women also had to contend with being female in the primarily male-dominated arena of international politics. The other book is High School Confidential which is about a guy who went undercover and really got the low down on higher learning in schools in the US. Can't wait to read them both! The Powerbooks VIP Access sale runs till May 5th and is only happening in the Greenbelt, Alabang Town Center, Megamall, and Trinoma stores.

0 got buggered: