Saturday, August 23, 2008

Boys and their toys

Last week at Liam's birthday dinner, someone made a remark on how funny it is that guys are so fond of cars, even at a young age. Alfonso likes BMWs. Liam likes Ferraris, especially his "fewawi" cake that he refused to be taken away from the table. I'm partial to Mercedes Benz, both because it's become a familial brand and I've always thought it as a more esteemed German car brand. A couple of years ago, my car fanatic of a brother and I flew to Detroit to check out the Detroit International Motor Show. I had never seen so many jaw dropping cars - from a Maybach, Aston Martin, and SLR to concept cars like Chrysler's 300C with suicide doors and Ford's Super Chief. This afternoon, I went to the Philippine International Motorshow in World Trade. It's not exactly like what I saw in Detroit but it'll do. The only European car manufacturer in show were BMW (love the X6), Volvo, Audi, and Porsche. Everything else was Korean, Japanese, or American. The theme of this year's show was Drive the Future: Towards safer and cleaner motoring so there were some that showcased hybrids, cars that give off cleaner emissions (whatever that's supposed to mean), and vehicles that are high on safety. If you love cars and have got nothing better to do this weekend, the motor show is on till August 24th. Admission is P50.

0 got buggered: