Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Unhealthy options

When I was in college, I used to wait till 1030 so I could have a longanissa meal and a Big Mac for breakfast. If I still had space in me tummy (I usually did), I'd throw in a side order of large fries. Then, I'd down it with a large glass of Coke then head to class and try not to fall asleep. That was until I read Fast Food Nation. After reading how fast food grub is a wicked mixture of extenders and artificial flavouring and colouring, I have since tried to stay away from it. Except hot fudge or caramel sundae. As if fast food wasn't unhealthy enough already, Men's Health recently came out with a list of all the worst (most unhealthy) fast food in the US:

Burger King Spicy Chick’n Crisp Sandwich 450 calories 30 g fat (5 g saturated fat) 810 mg sodium Lean economic times make the value menu more appealing than ever. And that’s fine—most dollar menus have a few sensible items. But if you eat this sandwich often, saving a few bucks will quickly result in a surplus around your waistline. Burger King Kids Double Cheeseburger and Kids Fries with Small Coke 950 calories 42 g fat (17 g saturated fat, 4.5 g trans fats) 1,410 mg sodium

BK's dubious double burger earns the distinction of being the fattiest meal for an on-the-go kid, with nearly a day's worth of saturated fat for the average 8-year-old.

Dairy Queen Large Strawberry CheeseQuake Blizzard 990 calories 39 g fat (24 g saturated fat) 114 g sugars

This creation combines ice cream, strawberry syrup, and hunks of cheesecake for a high-fat dairy dessert. If you’re set on a Blizzard, go bananas. A small Banana Split Blizzard has 7 fewer fat grams than the small Oreo, Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Cup, or Strawberry CheeseQuake flavors. Or stray from the Blizzard and satisfy your sweet tooth with a small chocolate sundae to save major calories and fat.

Burger King BIG FISH Sandwich with Tartar Sauce 640 calories 32 g fat (5 g saturated fat) 1,540 mg sodium

Fish is only healthy when it's not breaded and fried in partially hydrogenated oil. Here, the fry treatment translates into 7 grams of trans fats and 108 grams of carbohydrates.

For a full list, check out the list here.

1 got buggered:

Jason said...

990 for the blizzard???? noooooo!!!!